The Smithtown Fire Department was toned out for a signal 13 (Chimney Fire) on Monday, February 08 with the location of 35 Ramondo Lane. With no active fire found the Department continued to investigate a heavy odor of smoke. Thermal Imagining cameras identified a hot spot behind the wall of the fireplace.
Firefighters removed brick above the fireplace to isolate the problem.
With episodes of cold weather upon us more and more homeowners in Smithtown are beginning to use their fireplaces. Dangerous creosote buildups or breaches in the masonry construction of the fireplace and chimney can have serious consequences.
It is essential that your fireplace is professionally cleaned and inspected on a regular basis.